Thursday, July 19, 2007

They gypsy in me, crying

For oil change I go to a place that is often deserted. It is a small shop away from the busy street. There I get a very quick service. I just give them the car key and wait for them to complete the job. So, it was another one of those oil changes when I was just trying to look busy, writing things in my notebook, a conversation took place between a man who had come for some auto work and the attendant there. The attendant told the customer he was planning a trip to Canada. He said his father worked all life long, made a lot of money, but never went anywhere, never traveled out of this area. And now his father was old and sick and was not capable of traveling.

“What good is all that money? You cannot take it with you. When you are gone, you are gone.” The attendant said to the other man.

Those were wise words.

The attendant told the other man he did not want to end up his father’s way. Instead he wanted to enjoy life. And his idea of enjoying life was to travel. I am sure he is not alone. Traveling is everybody’s idea of fun. Very seldom you meet people who say they don’t enjoy traveling and want to stay put in their place.

I too want to travel. I want to go to exotic lands (although some believe the land I come from is quite exotic—I call it scary). But the world is a very big place. How can you possibly see it with two-weeks per year vacation?

No comments: